Multi-award winning recording, mixing & mastering engineer José Diogo Neves has successfully transcended genres through working with a diverse array of artists, including Grammy Award winning artists. José is a distinguished multi-faceted studio talent, and his work is renowned for having artistic integrity. José is also a Professor at TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia - Tartu University, Estonia. José is officially endorsed by msonic Baltic, Universal Audio, Vanguard Audio Labs & Retrosonic Pro Audio.
In 2017, José mixed the original soundtrack of the critically acclaimed & award winning film of Bertrand Mandico "Les Garçon Sauvages" (The Wild Boys), composed by Hekla Magnúsdóttir. This film has won: Prix Semaine de la critique Venise; Grand prix des Nouveaux alchimistes au FNC-Montréal; Grand prix compétition internationale au FIFIB-Bordeaux et Prix Erasmus-jeunesse; Prix Gérard Frot-Coutaz au Festival Entrevues de Belfort; Prix Rebel au Tallin Black Nights; Grand prix au Festival d'Istanbul; Grand prix festival du film de Séville.
In 2016, José recorded & engineered the debut album, "Directions", of Portuguese accordionist, João Barradas, out on Inner Circle Music & Nischo, with the production and participation of Greg Osby and other musicians such as Gil Goldstein, João Paulo Esteves da Silva, André Fernandes, Bruno Pedroso, André Rosinha and Sara Serpa. The album received a 4.5 out of 5 stars review from Downbeat Magazine and it was featured in the top 10 albums of the year.
Besides these projects José is also working/or worked with: Tonik Ensemble, Lexsoul Dancemachine, JT Conception, Lauri Kadalipp Social Jazz, Angus, Ruxpin, Sérgio Carolino, Asonat, Mané Fernandes BounceLab, João Barradas "Directions", Maria Quintanilla & Renato Diz, The Bad Habits Trio (Ahto Abner, Peedu Kass & Andre Maaker), Mané Fernandes ..shhApes.. (João Barradas João Moreira, Demian Cabaud & Marcos Cavaleiro); Sander Mölder, Elephants From Neptune, Egert Milder, State Of Zoe, Pro´Seeds, Mané Fernandes The Mantra Of The Phat Lotus, Joel Remmel Trio, Eduardo Cardinho Quinteto, Einar Indra, Linda Kanter, Matthew Hyde Quintet, Maarja Aarma, Andres Alaru Quartet & Trio among many others.
A Master of Arts in Composition and Recording Arts, Eesti Muusika – Ja Teatriakadeemia (EMTA), Tallinn, Estonia. Graduated with honours.
Degree in Music – Music Production and Technologies from Escola Superior de Música e das Artes do Espectáculo (School of Music and Performing Arts) in Porto, Portugal. Graduated with honours.
After graduating the Degree in Music, José won a scholarship for a professional internship at Serviços Áudio ESMAE / IPP Casa da Música, Porto from September 2010 to September 2011, where he was responsible for the recording and mixing of several concerts of all music genres, like for example:
Concerts of Orquestra Sinfónica do Porto (Symphonic Orchestra of Porto – OSP) under the direction of Maestros such as Alexander Shelley, Emilio Pomàrico, Reinbert de Leeuw, Olari Elts, Takuo Yuasa, Christoph König, Peter Rundel, Christian Lindberg, Simone Young, Brad Lubman, Joseph Swensen, Hespèrion XXI under the direction of Jordi Savall, Klangforum Wien under the direction of Enno Poppe, among many others; Casa da Musica’s Choir under the direction of Maestros such as Paul Hillier;
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, George Clinton, Roy Ayers, Dave Douglas, Laurie Anderson, Ken Vandemark, Orquestra Jazz de Matosinhos and Kurt Rosenwinkel, Tony Malaby, Michael Formanek, Steve Lehman Octet, Steve Coleman & Five Elements, Orquestra Jazz de Matosinhos and Maria Scheneider, Edmar Castaneda, Philip Glass, Nikolai Luganski, David Murray & Omara Portuondo, Peter Hook, Nina Hagen, Alpha Blondy, among many others;
Professor at TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia – Tartu University. Currently teaching:
- Mixing I & II Professor, Master of Arts & Bachelor in Sound Engineering, TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia, 2015 – present
- Studio I & II Professor, Master of Arts & Bachelor in Sound Engineering, TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia, 2015 – present
- Studio Project Professor, Bachelor in Sound Engineering, TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia, 2015 – present
- Digital Sound Processing II Professor, Bachelor in Folk & Tradiotional Music, TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia, 2015 – present
Professor at Baltic Film, Media, Arts & Communication School – Tallinn University. Currently teaching:
- Mixing Techniques Professor, Master of Arts in Sound Engineering, Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn University, 2013 – 2016
- Sound Recording Technologies Professor, Master of Arts in Film Arts, Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn University, 2013 – 2015
- Basics of Sound Post Production Professor, Bachelor of Arts in Film Arts, Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn University, 2013 – 2015
Masterclasses & Workshops:
- Recording & Mixing Masterclass, The University of Southern Mississippi, New Orleans, USA, March 2019
- Mixing with Universal Audio Workshop, msonic Baltic & Retrosonic Pro Audio Studios, Tallinn, Estonia, January 2019
- Drum Recording Workshops, msonic Baltic & Retrosonic Pro Audio Studios, Tallinn, Estonia, September 2018
- Recording Workshops, msonic Baltic & Retrosonic Pro Audio Studios, Tallinn, Estonia, July 2018
- Mixing 101 Masterclass, Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn University, 2013 & 2014
- Mixing Seminar, Bachelor of Music Production and Technologies, Escola Superior de Música e das Artes do Espectáculo (School of Music and Performing Arts) in Porto, Portugal, 2013