Multi-award winning recording, mixing & mastering engineer José Diogo Neves has successfully transcended genres through working with a diverse array of artists, including Grammy Award winning artists. José is a distinguished multi-faceted studio talent, and his work is renowned for having artistic integrity. José´s seemingly paradoxical passion for both electronic abstraction and acoustic purity has helped him to establish a unique position in the music scene today. His approach can be aggressive and extreme when needed, or completely transparent when appropriate. The stylistic diversity of his discography and his ability to combine the acoustic and electronic is a testament to his fluency across genres. José is officially endorsed by msonic Baltic, Universal Audio, Vanguard Audio Labs, Soyuz Microphones & Retrosonic Pro Audio.
José is also a Professor at TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia - Tartu University, Estonia and has given numerous workshops & masterclasses in different Universities and studios around the world. Most recently José was a guest lecturer at The Southern Miss School of Mass Communication & Journalism, The University of Southern Mississippi, in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
In 2017, José mixed the original pieces composed by Hekla Magnúsdóttir for the critically acclaimed & award winning film of Bertrand Mandico "Les Garçon Sauvages" (The Wild Boys). This film has won: Prix Semaine de la critique Venise; Grand prix des Nouveaux alchimistes au FNC-Montréal; Grand prix compétition internationale au FIFIB-Bordeaux et Prix Erasmus-jeunesse; Prix Gérard Frot-Coutaz au Festival Entrevues de Belfort; Prix Rebel au Tallin Black Nights; Grand prix au Festival d'Istanbul; Grand prix festival du film de Séville.
In 2016, José recorded & engineered the debut album, "Directions", of Portuguese accordionist, João Barradas, out on Inner Circle Music & Nischo, with the production and participation of Greg Osby and other musicians such as Gil Goldstein, João Paulo Esteves da Silva, André Fernandes, Bruno Pedroso, André Rosinha and Sara Serpa. The album received a 4.5 out of 5 stars review from Downbeat Magazine and it was featured in the top 10 albums of the year.
Process & Methods:
José believes that the correct process and recording can help to convey the artistic intent and statement of the artist. For electronic music and other non-linear styles where the artistic concept and creativity live in a world of editing, looping, and digital manipulation, José is fluent in modern computer based engineering and production techniques. For jazz, funk, rock and other music genres, where capturing a meaningful live performance with the best sound possible is paramount, José is a strong believer that the sound should be acquired during the recording process!
When it comes to mixing & mastering José uses a lot of analog equipment to achieve depth, power, and musicality that not always can be achieved in the digital world. But in the end, his process can be described as hybrid, using the best from both analog & digital worlds.
A Master of Arts in Composition and Recording Arts, Eesti Muusika – Ja Teatriakadeemia (EMTA), Tallinn, Estonia. Graduated with honours.
Degree in Music – Music Production and Technologies from Escola Superior de Música e das Artes do Espectáculo (School of Music and Performing Arts) in Porto, Portugal. Graduated with honours.
After graduating the Degree in Music, José won a scholarship for a professional internship at Serviços Áudio ESMAE / IPP Casa da Música, Porto from September 2010 to September 2011, where he was responsible for the recording and mixing of several concerts of all music genres, like for example:
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, George Clinton, Roy Ayers, Dave Douglas, Laurie Anderson, Ken Vandemark, Orquestra Jazz de Matosinhos and Kurt Rosenwinkel, Tony Malaby, Michael Formanek, Steve Lehman Octet, Steve Coleman & Five Elements, Orquestra Jazz de Matosinhos and Maria Scheneider, Edmar Castaneda, Philip Glass, Nikolai Luganski, David Murray & Omara Portuondo, Peter Hook, Nina Hagen, Alpha Blondy, among many others;
Concerts of Orquestra Sinfónica do Porto (Symphonic Orchestra of Porto – OSP) under the direction of Maestros such as Alexander Shelley, Emilio Pomàrico, Reinbert de Leeuw, Olari Elts, Takuo Yuasa, Christoph König, Peter Rundel, Christian Lindberg, Simone Young, Brad Lubman, Joseph Swensen, Hespèrion XXI under the direction of Jordi Savall, Klangforum Wien under the direction of Enno Poppe, among many others; Casa da Musica’s Choir under the direction of Maestros such as Paul Hillier;
Professor at TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia – Tartu University. Currently teaching:
- Mixing I & II Professor, Master of Arts & Bachelor in Sound Engineering, TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia, 2015 – present
- Studio I & II Professor, Master of Arts & Bachelor in Sound Engineering, TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia, 2015 – present
- Studio Project Professor, Bachelor in Sound Engineering, TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia, 2015 – present
- Digital Sound Processing II Professor, Bachelor in Folk & Tradiotional Music, TÜ Viljandi Kultuuriakadeemia, 2015 – present
Professor at Baltic Film, Media, Arts & Communication School – Tallinn University.
- Mixing Techniques Professor, Master of Arts in Sound Engineering, Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn University, 2013 – 2016
- Sound Recording Technologies Professor, Master of Arts in Film Arts, Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn University, 2013 – 2015
- Basics of Sound Post Production Professor, Bachelor of Arts in Film Arts, Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn University, 2013 – 2015
Masterclasses & Workshops:
- Recording & Mixing Masterclasses, Southern Miss School of Mass Communication & Journalism, The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA, March 2019
- Mixing with Universal Audio Workshop, msonic Baltic & Retrosonic Pro Audio Studios, Tallinn, Estonia, January 2019
- Drum Recording Workshops, msonic Baltic & Retrosonic Pro Audio Studios, Tallinn, Estonia, September 2018
- Recording Workshops, msonic Baltic & Retrosonic Pro Audio Studios, Tallinn, Estonia, July 2018
- Mixing 101 Masterclass, Baltic Film and Media School, Tallinn University, 2013 & 2014
- Mixing Seminar, Bachelor of Music Production and Technologies, Escola Superior de Música e das Artes do Espectáculo (School of Music and Performing Arts) in Porto, Portugal, 2013